If you are looking for a unique and colorful accessory that is also eco-friendly and durable, you might want to consider Mexican woven tote bags. These bags are handcrafted by artisans in Mexico using recycled plastic materials, creating beautiful and functional pieces that can be used for various purposes. In this blog post, we will explore the features, benefits, and origins of Mexican woven tote bags, as well as some tips on how to style and care for them.
What are Mexican woven tote bags?
Mexican woven tote bags are bags that are made from recycled plastic that is woven into intricate patterns and designs. The plastic is sourced from various places, such as bottles, containers, and packaging, and is cleaned, cut, and dyed before being woven by hand using a traditional technique. The result is a sturdy and flexible material that can be shaped into different sizes and styles of bags, such as totes, clutches, crossbody bags, and more. Mexican woven tote bags are also known as Oaxacan plastic totes, as they are mainly produced in the state of Oaxaca, Mexico.
What are the benefits of Mexican woven tote bags?
Mexican woven tote bags have many benefits, both for the environment and for the users, such as:
- They are eco-friendly. Mexican woven tote bags are made from recycled plastic, which helps reduce waste and pollution. By using these bags, you are supporting a sustainable and circular economy, as well as preserving the natural resources and biodiversity of Mexico.
- They are durable. Mexican woven tote bags are resistant to water, stains, and tears, making them ideal for everyday use. They can withstand high temperatures and sun exposure, and do not fade or lose their shape over time. They can also be easily cleaned with soap and water, or even in the washing machine.
- They are versatile. Mexican woven tote bags can be used for various occasions and purposes, such as shopping, traveling, beach, pool, picnic, work, school, and more. They can fit a lot of items, such as books, laptops, clothes, groceries, and more. They can also be folded and stored easily when not in use.
- They are stylish. Mexican woven tote bags come in a variety of colors, patterns, and sizes, so you can find the perfect one for your taste and personality. You can choose from solid colors, stripes, geometric shapes, floral prints, animal prints, and more. You can also mix and match different bags, or accessorize them with pom-poms, tassels, or charms.
Where do Mexican woven tote bags come from?
Mexican woven tote bags are a product of the rich and diverse culture and history of Mexico, especially of the indigenous communities of Oaxaca. Oaxaca is a state in southern Mexico that is known for its artistic and culinary traditions, as well as its natural beauty and biodiversity. Oaxaca is home to 16 different ethnic groups, each with their own language, customs, and crafts.
One of the most prominent crafts in Oaxaca is weaving, which dates back to pre-Hispanic times. Weaving is a way of expressing the identity, beliefs, and values of the people, as well as a source of income and empowerment. Weaving is done using different materials, such as wool, cotton, silk, and plastic, and different techniques, such as backstrap loom, pedal loom, and hand weaving.
The origin of Mexican woven tote bags can be traced back to the 1950s, when a group of women from the Zapotec community of Santo Tomas Jalieza started to weave plastic bags using a backstrap loom. They used plastic strips that were discarded by a local factory, and created colorful and durable bags that were sold in the local markets. The bags became popular among tourists and locals alike, and soon other communities in Oaxaca adopted the technique and created their own styles and designs.
Today, Mexican woven tote bags are a symbol of the creativity, resilience, and pride of the Oaxacan people, as well as a way of preserving and promoting their cultural heritage and identity. By buying these bags, you are supporting the local artisans and their families, as well as contributing to the social and economic development of their communities.
How to style and care for Mexican woven tote bags?
Mexican woven tote bags are easy to style and care for, as they are adaptable and low-maintenance. Here are some tips on how to make the most of your Mexican woven tote bags:
- To style your Mexican woven tote bag, you can pair it with a simple and neutral outfit, such as a white shirt and jeans, and let the bag be the focal point of your look. You can also match the color or pattern of your bag with one of your clothing items, such as a scarf, a hat, or a jacket, to create a cohesive and harmonious look. You can also add some accessories, such as earrings, bracelets, or sunglasses, to complete your outfit.
- To care for your Mexican woven tote bag, you can wash it by hand or in the machine, using cold water and mild soap. You can also use a soft brush to remove any dirt or stains. You can air dry your bag, or use a hair dryer on low heat. You can also iron your bag on low heat, using a cloth or a towel to protect the plastic. You can store your bag in a cool and dry place, or fold it and keep it in a drawer or a closet.
If you are looking for a unique and colorful accessory that is also eco-friendly and durable, you might want to consider Mexican woven tote bags. These bags are handcrafted by artisans in Mexico using recycled plastic materials, creating beautiful and functional pieces that can be used for various purposes. You can support the local artisans and communities of Oaxaca, Mexico, and celebrate their culture and heritage by buying these bags. One of the best places to buy Mexican woven tote bags is Woven Futures, where you can find a wide range of designs and colors, such as the Watchtower Awake Tote Bag, which features a stunning geometric pattern and a vibrant orange color. This bag is perfect for carrying your essentials, such as your laptop, books, wallet, and more. It is also water-resistant, stain-resistant, and easy to clean. You can buy this bag from this link , and enjoy the quality and style of Mexican woven tote bags.